The Integrity Commission has jurisdiction to investigate complaints relating to allegations of corrupt conduct of all ACT public sector entities, ACT public officials and former public officials.
Under the Integrity Commission Act, a public official is any person who exercises a public official function of the ACT or is acting in a public official capacity for the Territory.
Public officials include:
- Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLA)
- Members of staff of an MLA
- Judicial officers (including the justices of the ACT Supreme Court, magistrates of the ACT Magistrates Court, and the registrars of the Supreme Court and the Magistrates Court)
- Presidential members, non-presidential members, assessors or registrars of the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Officers of the Assembly (such as the Auditor-General, members of the Electoral Commission)
- Statutory office holders
- Public servants
- Employees of a public sector entity
- Contractors, employees of contractors, or volunteers exercising a function of, a public sector entity
The Integrity Commission Act does not apply to public officials from the Commonwealth or state or territory jurisdictions (other than the ACT).
See section 12 of the Integrity Commission Act
Public sector entities
Public Sector entities subject to the Integrity Commission Act are the Legislative Assembly for the ACT, the ACT public service and other ACT entities of a public nature including, but not limited to:
- a Legislative Assembly entity (includes: MLAs and their staff, the Office of the Legislative Assembly, and officers of the Legislative Assembly (such as the Auditor-General, members of the Electoral Commission) and their staff)
- Government directorates
- Statutory bodies
- Territory authorities
- Territory instrumentalities
- Territory-owned corporations (and their subsidiaries)
- Providers of public health services, including public hospitals
- ACT detention places and correctional centres
- Providers of ACT public transport
- Providers of ACT emergency services
- Providers of public education
- Providers of public housing
- Providers of gas, electricity and water supply where exercising the functions of a public nature
The Integrity Commission Act does not apply to public sector entities from the Commonwealth or state or territory jurisdictions (other than the ACT).
See Part 1.2 of the Integrity Commission Act